What is Funeral Grant?
Funeral Grant is a benefit payable towards the cost of funeral expenses in the event of the death of:
* an insured person, including a person who had received Age or Invalidity Benefit;
* the spouse of an insured person;
* a dependent child of an insured person (i.e. under the age of 16; or under the age of 25 if attending school or university full-time; or an invalid)
Who is Covered?
The benefit may be paid to any person who:
* has met the funeral expenses of the deceased person; or
* has given an undertaking in writing to the Director of the Social Security Board to meet the funeral expenses of the deceased.
If a claimant gives such an undertaking and then fails to meet the expenses, the grant must be repaid to the Social Security Board.