Self-employed Persons and Social Security


Self-employed Persons and Social Security

Every self-employed person between the ages of 16 and 62 years is regarded as an insured person by Social Security. As an insured person, the self-employed person must be registered and will be allocated a Social Security Number. This is a unique number under the Social Security Fund, which will be the main means of differentiating its owner from everyone else.

Registration involves completing an application form providing all of the relevant particulars that would serve to identify the particular person.

Each applicant is required to give adequate and accurate information at all times to Social Security. This would ensure that whenever there is an opportunity for claiming any benefit, there would be no doubt about the identity of the person in respect of whose insurability, the benefit is being claimed. In this way every person would receive his/her due benefits under the law.

Following are some guidelines in relation to registration:
It is a legal requirement that every employed person and every self employed person within the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis shall be registered with the Social Security Board. Employers are given definite instructions concerning the registration of their employees. Self-employed persons are also given definite instructions concerning their own registration.

Applying for a Social Security Card is EASY and it’s FREE!

You must apply in person in order to obtain a Social Security number and our Social Security Registration Card.

If you need an original card (i.e. You were never assigned a Social Security number before), you must show proof (or evidence) of identity.


Proof of identity requires a valid passport or an original birth certificate. A valid passport can usually be used to establish your true identity. If you do not have a valid passport, a certified birth certificate may be accepted. For our purposes ‘certified’ means having a prominent member of your community verify that you are the person that he or she knows, who bears the identification particulars (or the identity) described in the certificate.


If you have had a change of name after having been issued your registration card, you must apply to Social Security (using our CHANGE OF NAME form) to have our records changed to reflect your new name. Good documentary evidence must be submitted to establish your entitlement to use the name being applied for. Examples include a deed poll, a passport with your new name, marriage certificate, or any court procedure that changes your name.

Good Evidence

Social Security will not accept photocopies of documents as evidence. You must submit original documents or certified copies by the custodian of the record. If your documents do not meet these requirements, we cannot properly process any application.
The Social Security Board has adopted certain procedures that are to be followed regarding the registration of employed persons and self employed persons.


Persons registering for the first time are expected to submit a completed application along with one of the following documents:
• a valid passport ; or
• a certified birth certificate; or 
• a birth certificate with Driver’s Licence.

N. B. A passport that has expired beyond (12) Twelve months will not be accepted.

A birth certificate may be certified by one of the following persons, who has personal knowledge of the individual, in the form of a specially written letter:

Minister of Religion, Minister of Government, Justice of the Peace, Barrister/Solicitor, Notary Public, Doctor, Permanent Secretary or other Senior Civil Servant such as a head of department, Senior Officer of Social Security, or a Responsible Person in the Community (e.g. a well known business person). (No family member may certify the document)

Such letters should bear the writer’s residential/business address, occupation, telephone number and business stamp or seal where applicable.


A valid work permit must accompany applications for registrations from non-citizens of the Federation. If the permit is being processed at the time of registration, it would be helpful if the employer submits appropriate documentation to verify that the Ministry of National Security is processing the permit. A Social Security Registration Card will not be issued until the work permit is presented to the Social Security Office.

If the work permit is granted for one (1) year or less, a registration card will not be issued.
Children of citizens, who were born outside of the Federation, must submit a copy of their citizenship document or the birth certificate of one parent. If they attended school in the Federation, a letter from the last school which they attended will also be admissible.


Caricom nationals who present a Certificate of Recognition of Caricom Skills Qualification will be issued with a Social Security Registration Card.


Persons who were already registered using the original non-laminated Social Security card, and who are replacing that original non-laminated card for the first time, are required to submit the afore-mentioned documents to support their application for the new card.


The registration card shall bear the name, photograph, date of birth, registration number, nationality, height, gender and signature of the Insured Person. The card shall also bear the issue and expiration dates that are applicable. If an entry on the registration card is amended in any way the card shall be invalid and should be returned to the Director, forthwith.

1. Every employed person is required to show the card to his employer or his agent, a Social Security official or any authorized person upon request.

2. The card is the property of the St. Christopher and Nevis Social Security Board, and as such, should not be defaced.

3. The card is not to be used for any illegal purpose

4. In the event of death the card should be returned to the Social Security Office without delay.

5. The Social Security Office must be informed of any change of name or address so the records may be kept updated.



The first picture ID card is free of charge for persons who are registering for the first time, and for persons who are ‘trading in’ their previous registration card. Trading in a card means that you are presenting the old out-datedcard to be exchanged for the new laminated card.
The Director may charge reasonable fees for the issue of replacement Social Security cards. Replacing a card means that you are requiring a new card as a result of an earlier card being lost or destroyed. The following are the fees for the replacement of laminated Social Security ID cards.

1. Any replacement ID card issued after the first laminated card will cost twenty dollars ($20.00). An applicant for a replacement card may be required to wait for a period of six months before the issuance of such a card. However in cases of loss under special circumstances, such as by accidental fire and natural disasters, the waiting period may not be applied.

2. Where two (2) Social Security cards have already been issued, there will be a charge of one hundred and fifty dollars ($150.00) for the issue of a third card. Any card issued after the third will also cost one hundred and fifty dollars ($150.00).

3. An exchange of ID Card because of name change will be free.


If any person fails to comply with any Regulations, he will be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding two hundred dollars ($200.00) for each offence. If the offence continues after conviction, he will be liable to another fine of two hundred dollars ($200.00) together with a further $200.00 for each day the offence continues from the time of the first conviction to the second.


An Insured person:

a) must register to be allocated a Social Security Number

b) will be provided with a Registration Number upon registration

c) should have only ONE Social Security Number

d) should NOT make any alterations to the Social Security Registration Card

e) should show his/her Registration Card to each new employer, in the case of such person being an employee

f) should keep his/her Registration Card in a safe place

g) should write his/her Social Security Number on all claim forms and on any correspondence sent to the Social Security Office

h) should know his/her Social Security Number

i) has the right to examine his/her current year’s wage records but not more than once in any month

j) should inform his/her employer and the Social Security Office about changes in name, address, marital status, etc.

Signup For Our Newsletter

Stay informed about Social Security with our monthly newsletter on new developments, your rights & obligations as insured persons and our procedures.

      Head Office

      Robert Llewellyn Bradshaw Building
      P.O. Box 79
      Bay Road, Basseterre, St. Kitts

      PHONE: +1 (869) 465-2535

      Branch Office

      Pinney’s Commercial Site
      P.O. Box 667

      PHONE: +1 (869) 469-5245